EMBEDDED FIRMWARE DEVELOPER
Mafic is an early stage, post-revenue construction tech start-up that has recently completed a successful seed round. Our cutting-edge technology platform, Safeguard, automatically captures activity and location data from people, plant and materials, and presents our clients with actionable information that transform how productivity, profitability and safety can be managed on construction sites.
Data is captured by our bespoke hardware – small enough to be wearable and cheap enough to be used at large scale – and Safeguard’s machine learning models are trained to recognise specific activities to a high level of detail
Construction technology is a rapidly growing industry that has historically seen very low productivity growth and low adoption of digital solutions. The trend towards digitisation has been accelerating over the last decade, and with top construction companies now recognising the need to use technology to remain competitive, there are high levels of investment in the industry.
Our vision is of a solution that can capture detailed low-level information that can integrate with the digital ecosystem and BIM: capturing an accurate picture of costs and progress and creating a source of information that can be used to better plan and forecast the remainder of the project as well as future projects. Safeguard’s potential is enormous, and we are looking for people who are excited by the challenges of high-pace, high-growth environments.
We are looking for a great Embedded Firmware Engineer to join the team. Your primary focus will be on developing firmware for our IOT and remote sensing devices. You will be application are robust, easy to maintain and compatible with future development. You will coordinate with the rest of the team working on different layers of the infrastructure which include Web Apps, AWS and Machine Learning. Therefore, a commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and quality product is important.
As part of a startup, the culture is very much ‘All hands to the deck’ so please expect your role to be much more varied than this. We encourage people to explore new technologies and skills to the company.
- Responsible for designing, developing, testing and deploying error free firmware for our range of hardware products
- Ability to scope, develop and review schematics from our hardware engineer
- Keeping track of and problem solving all issues related to hardware devices
Technical Skillsets – Required
- Exceptional Embedded C development skills
- Experience with MEMs sensors, WIFI, BLE and Lora
- Must have significant experience with STM32 microcontrollers
- Strong low power optimisation skills
- Experience with using MCU advanced peripherals and libraries- I2C, UART, DMA, DFDSM, SAI, BLUENRG.
- Experience with AWS Cloud – EC2, S3, IOT
- Experience with FTPS, MQTT
- Experience of Tflite and other EDGE computing technologies
- Comfortable with project management and version control tools such as Git, Jira
- Product Management, Product Development and tech team management Experience
- Experience with hardware testing pipelines and tools
- Highly proficient at reading and checking schematics and datasheets
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements
- Ability to understand and refactor existing code
- Strong Linux bash scripting
Other Technical Skills that may be useful
- Python binary file processing with Struct
- Python Datascience toolsets – Pandas / Numpy
- ML & AI – Tensorflow, Keras
- An understanding of RF (antennas, components and carrier signals)
- Any spacial computing experience or 3D graphics experience
- Experience designing and creating hardware
- Ability to identify risks and develop strategies to test and mitigate them.
- Strong communication skills
- General Interest in developing technologies and the ability to introduce them when required
- Remote working (including international)
- The rest of the team is based in London, Guildford and other UK locations.
- Remuneration will start with a contracting day-rate. If the company / candidate fit is good then there will be an opportunity to join as a full time member of staff which includes a competitive salary of £35-45k, pension and options package. This permanent hire would be part of the first 10 individuals through the door including the founders and so presents an amazing opportunity to earn options which could prove extremely valuable as well as shape and steer the strategy of the company whilst exposing yourself to the exciting start-up world.
If you are interested in being a part of Mafic please send your CV to us along with links to your portfolio work we can take a look at. If we like what we see we will be in touch. And also, if we are not quite the right fit we will also be in touch with feedback. Finding a job is hard, we would love to be able to make this process better in any way.