CLIENT OPERATIONS MANAGER
Mafic is an early stage, post-revenue construction tech start-up that has recently completed a successful seed round. Our cutting-edge technology platform, Safeguard, automatically captures activity and location data from people, plant, and materials, and presents our clients with actionable information that transform how productivity, profitability and safety can be managed on construction sites.
Data is captured by our bespoke hardware – small enough to be wearable and cheap enough to be used at large scale – and Safeguard’s machine learning models are trained to recognise specific activities to a high level of detail.
Construction technology is a rapidly growing industry with exciting potential in an industry that has historically seen very low productivity growth and low adoption of digital solutions. The trend towards digitisation has been accelerating over the last decade, and with top construction companies now recognising the need to use technology to remain competitive, there are high levels of investment in the industry.
Our vision is of a solution that can capture detailed low-level information that can integrate with the digital ecosystem and BIM: capturing an accurate picture of costs and progress, automatically triggering events and workflow – inspections, handovers, rework – and creating a source of information that can be used to better plan and forecast the remainder of the project as well as future projects.
Safeguard’s potential is enormous, and we are looking for people who are excited by the challenges of high-pace, high-growth environments.
Your primary role will be supporting clients to get maximum value from Safeguard and taking learnings from site and using them to develop and improve Mafic’s product offering. You will manage projects from initial site assessments through deployment to data analysis and supporting clients to implement improvements. You will have a complete knowledge of Safeguard’s capabilities and use this to identify use-cases in new and existing clients.
Being part of a small but rapidly growing startup, your role will be broad and expected to evolve over time. This also means that you will need to be flexible and able to take the initiative to help wherever the need is, learning new skills as needed – as part of a growing startup this agility is key to our success.
Over time, it is expected that the role will grow into managing a team of people over a broader client base, with increasing exposure to senior and C-level clients, and business development. We are looking for someone who has the appetite and ambition to grow into this role.
- Has strong interpersonal skills and is comfortable talking to a range of individuals from construction operatives through to senior managers.
- Has good numerical skills and can understand and interrogate large data sets and build reports using BI tools such as Tableau, PowerBI, Access, and Excel.
- Has experience of using data to drive improvements, and is able to appreciate how to create simple, clear measures, and use these to positively influence behavior.
- Capable of presenting understanding of complex problems and their solutions in a clear and simple way a range of audiences.
- It is expected that you will be spending 1-3 days per week on London-centric client sites, depending on need, and the remainder working remotely. There may be the occasional need for overnight travel.
- Previous experience of being in a client facing and / or consulting role is essential, ideally 3-6 years, and construction experience is a bonus.
- Previous roles may have included Project Manager / Consultant / Client Manager / Head of Client Satisfaction.
- Capabilities to learn the principles or techniques involved in machine learning, embedded code and hardware performance.
- Willingness to research, investigate and learn new techniques for problem solving.
- Supporting client deployments with introductions, troubleshooting, training, and support – whatever is needed to help them get the most out of the technology.
- Working with clients to improve how Safeguard is being used by the client, identifying design improvements that will make Safeguard work better, and identifying completely new ways that Safeguard can add value for the client.
- Being the first point of contact for Site Directors, helping them to understand and get best value from the data produced by Safeguard, coaching and supporting them as necessary and using their feedback to constantly improve the product offering.
- Engaging with people on site – both client staff, and other contractors – to understand where Safeguard could add value for them and helping them to understand the capabilities of our technology.
- Recognising where opportunities to cross or up-sell additional functionality with existing clients and other clients on site and capitalising on this when appropriate.
- Remote working / Greater London. Occasional international travel.
- The rest of the team is based in London, Guildford and other UK locations.
£45,000 – £65,000 comprised of salary, bonus, options, and pension.
If you are interested in being a part of Mafic please send your CV to us. If we like what we see we will be in touch. And also, if we are not quite the right fit we will also be in touch with feedback. Finding a job is hard, we would love to be able to make this process better in any way.